We will always answer YES to this question! Here’s why:
- Professional makeup people can minimize a variety of skin imperfections (and we all have them) . Dark circles, fine lines, skin cancer, wrinkles — you name it.
- Makeup artists can help you to look more alert and more youthful. It’s not just about wrinkles and photoshop. You want your eyes to pop and it takes more than just mascara! Your headshots are an investment… don’t cheap out on yourself.
- Matte finish. The last thing you want for your headshot is shiny skin. A professional matte finish is really going to make your skin look younger and healthier.
- Hair! The goal is never to make you look like someone else — but don’t you want to look your best? Coming from home or the office with droopy hair ( or hair that has been exposed to the outdoors) right before you step in front of the camera can be risky. You don’t have to look like an ad for a salon, but you should not look whipped and frizzy!
- CONFIDENCE. What better way to look your best than turning it over to the pros? They will take direction, consult with you about color choices based on the clothing you plan to wear — and even advise you on jewelry. So you get to step in front of the camera knowing you’ve got it all pulled together.
My assistant, Jessiree (below) and I recently re-shot our headshots here in the studio. We chose a bright, natural light look and used one of our favorite makeup artists. As you can see, our ages are vastly different — and we both benefited greatly.
So give yourself every advantage and consider using a professional — and keep it simple!